Postings for Specialist Instructional
Graduate students who wish to apply for any of the Teaching Assistant (TA) positions listed below must complete an application form either by:
- filling out the online application form. If necessary, use the link sent to you to update your application or upload documents at a later date.
- filling out the ECE Department Application Form and drop it off at EOW 448, or mail to the department.
- Important Information
- Available Positions
- How do I apply?
To ensure full consideration, your completed application should be received by: April 1, 2013 for Summer 2013
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Possess an undergraduate degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering or an acceptable equivalent.
- Registered as a Master or Ph.D. student in Electrical or Computer Engineering or acceptable equivalent at the University of Victoria.
- Familiarity with course materials is an asset. Skills or other requirements (if any) are presented on specific course postings.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the course instructor, perform any combination of the following duties: marking assignments, quizzes and lab reports, preparing for labs, recording grades, conducting or assisting labs and/or tutorials, consulting with students. Read the UVic TA Manual to learn more about the role of a teaching assistant.
The hourly rate is $23.501
Appointments will be made in accordance with Article 13.02 (Appointment Procedures) and Appendix A of the CUPE 4163 Collective Agreement. Selection criteria will include: qualifications and ability based on academic merit and related experience, the career and/or pedagogical value that the experience in a particular position will provide the student, the student's preferences, and other sources of graduate student financial support being received.
The University of Victoria is an equity employer and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the university.
Number of available positions is subject to funding availability, enrollment and/or course cancellation.
The following positions are available for Summer 2013. The number between brackets identifies how many positions are available.
How Do I Apply?
- Review the available positions.
- Complete the online application form for CUPE 4163 positions
- List on your application form any TA appointments held at the University of Victoria.
- Non-Canadian applicants must include a copy of their Study Permit or Permanent Resident card with their application form. If your study permit expires before the end of the appointment period, you must provide proof that you are in the process of renewing it (i.e. copy of your receipt from Canada Immigration).
- Applicants may present supporting documents with their application (e.g. curriculum vitae). Such document(s) will not be accepted as a substitute for the standard application form noted above.
- If you are not submitting your application online, print out your application and return it to Janice Closson (Mailbox located in EOW 448) or mail to the department address as provided below.
- Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Victoria
P.O. Box 3055 STN CSC
Victoria, B.C. V8W 3P6
- If you are not an ECE student at University of Victoria you may want to notify your home department that you are submitting your application for consideration with ECE.
- Offers of employment will be sent to the email address that you provide on the application form sometime during the selection timeframe which begins one week before the start of the term and ends one week before the first scheduled lab session.
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (250) 721-8674
1 Effective September 1, 2012 for academic and scientific assistants. See CUPE 4163 collective agreement University of Victoria, Human Resources September 1, 2012.