Our objective for this project is to reproduce the look and feel of a typical analog DJ setup with two analog turntables and a mixer, but to build such a system to enable the use of digital media such as .MP3 files. Several objectives were identified for the Mixa-Rip CENG/ELEC 499A project.
These objectives included both technical aspects relating to the
development of a user interface (hardware) for an MP3 scratching and mixing
system, as well as objectives relating to possible commercial product
development and business venture opportunities. These objectives are as follows:
and define possible market for an MP3 scratching and mixing system
- Research related products already in the market place.
- Define a product that would be accepted into the market.
- Define a target consumer.
- Determine what qualities and features are important to intended consumer.
- Discuss ideas with active DJs.
options for product development assistance and or business partnerships
discussions with Innovation and Development Corporation at the University of
- Contact students at other institutes who are researching or developing interfaces to digital music.
design and develop a proof of concept prototype for an MP3 scratching and
mixing system that incorporates hardware and software elements
- Design and implement essential features.
- Design prototype with future features and desired characteristics
- Ensure prototype is deliverable within the CENG/ELEC 499A timeline.