Canada Research Chair, Tier II (2005-2015)
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Room 439, EOW
Email: xdong AT ece DOT uvic DOT ca
Xiaodai Dong received her B.Sc. degree from the Department of Information
and Control Engineering, Xi'an Jiaotong University
(China) in 1992, her M.Sc. degree from the Department of Electrical
Engineering, National University of Singapore in 1995 and her Ph.D. degree from
the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Queen's University,
Kingston, in 2000. She was with Nortel
General research interests lie in the development of theory and applications that are essential to enabling high capacity, energy efficient wireless communications systems. Specific interests include 5G, mmWave communications, radio propagation, Internet of things, machine learning, deep learning, localization, wireless security, ehealth, smart grid and nano-communications.
Google Scholar Profile: Xiaodai Dong
5G Massive MIMO and mmWave
• Y. Huo, X. Dong and W. Xu, "5G Cellular User Equipment: From Theory to Practical Hardware Design," IEEE Access, July 2017. (Among Most Popular Articles of IEEE Xplore in 2017-2018)
• Y. Huo, X. Dong, W. Xu and M. Yuen, "Enabling Multi-Functional 5G and Beyond User Equipment: A Survey and Tutorial," IEEE Access, July 2019.
• L. Liang, W. Xu and X. Dong, "Low-complexity hybrid precoding in massive multiuser MIMO systems," IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, pp. 653-656, Dec. 2014. (Please cite the paper and Matlab code here.)
• W. Ni and X. Dong, "Hybrid Block Diagonalization for Massive Multiuser MIMO Systems," IEEE Trans. Communications, pp. 201-211, Jan. 2016. (Please cite the paper and Matlab code here.)
• W. Ni, X. Dong and W.S. Lu, "Near-Optimal Hybrid Processing for Massive MIMO Systems via Matrix Decomposition", IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, pp. 3922-3933, Apr. 2017.
• Y. Huo, X. Dong, T. Lu, W. Xu and M. Yuen, "Distributed and Multilayer UAV Networks for Next-Generation Wireless Communication and Power Transfer: A Feasibility Study," accepted by IEEE Internet of Things Journal.
• Y. Huo, X. Dong, W. Xu and M. Yuen, "Cellular and WiFi Co-design for 5G User Equipment," IEEE 5G World Forum, July 2018.
• Y. Huo, X. Dong, L. Li, M. Xie and W. Xu, "26/40 GHz CMOS VCOs Design of Radio Front-end for 5G Mobile Devices," IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Wireless Broadband (ICUWB 2016), Oct. 2016. (Best Student Paper Award)
Machine Learning for Communications
• Y. Zhu, X. Dong and T. Lu, "An Adaptive and Parameter-Free Recurrent Neural Structure for Wireless Channel Prediction," IEEE Trans. Communications, Nov. 2019. (Please cite the paper and Matlab code here.)
X. Dong, W.S. Lu, and A. Soong, "Linear interpolation in pilot assisted channel estimation for OFDM", IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., pp. 1910-1920, May 2007.
Localization and SLAM
• M.T. Hoang, Y. Zhu, B. Yuen, T. Reese, X. Dong, T. Lu, R. Westendorp and M. Xie, "Soft Range Limited K-Nearest Neighbours Algorithm for Indoor Localization Enhancement," IEEE Sensor Journal, pp. 10208-10216, Dec. 2018.
• M.T. Hoang, B. Yuen, X. Dong, T. Lu, R. Westendorp and K. Reddy, "Recurrent Neural Networks for Accurate RSSI Indoor Localization," accepted by IEEE Internet of Things Journal.
• S. He and X. Dong, "High Accuracy Localization Platform Using Asynchronous Time Difference of Arrival Technology," IEEE Trans. Instrumentation and Measurement, pp. 1728-1742, Mar. 2017.
• Z. Xu, X. Dong and J. Bornemann, "Design of a Reconfigurable MIMO System for THz Communications Based on Graphene Antennas," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, pp. 609-617, Sept. 2014.
• Z. Xu, X. Dong and J. Bornemann, "A statistical model for the MIMO channel with rough reflection surfaces in the THz band," Nano Communication Networks, pp. 25-34, Aug. 2016.
• Z. Xu, X. Dong and J. Bornemann, "Spectral efficiency of carbon nanotube antenna based MIMO systems in the Terahertz band," IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, pp. 631-634, Dec. 2013.
• C. Wang, T.C.K. Liu and X. Dong, "Impact of Channel Estimation Error on the Performance of AF Two-Way Relaying," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, pp. 1197-1207, March 2012.
• W. Xu, X. Dong and W.-S. Lu, "Joint precoding optimization for multiuser multi-antenna relaying downlinks using quadratic programming", IEEE Trans. Communications, pp. 1228-1235, May 2011.
• W. Xu, X. Dong and W.-S. Lu, "MIMO relaying broadcast channels with linear precoding and quantized channel state information feedback", IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, pp. 5233-5245, Oct. 2010.
• Y. Dai and X. Dong, "Power Allocation for Multi-Pair Massive MIMO Two-Way AF Relaying with Linear Processing," IEEE Trans. Wireless Communications, pp. 5932-5946, Sept. 2016.
• B. Zhao, Y. Shi, X. Dong, W. Luan and J. Bornemann, "Short-Term Operation Scheduling in Renewable-Powered Microgrids: A Duality-Based Approach," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, pp. 209-217, Jan. 2014.
• B. Zhao, X. Dong and J. Bornemann, "Service restoration for a renewable-powered microgrid in unscheduled island mode," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, pp. 1128-1136, May 2015.
E-Health Data Analytics
• P. Cheng and X. Dong, "Life-Threatening Ventricular Arrhythmia Detection with Personalized Features," IEEE Access, pp. 14195-14203, July 2017.
• B. Yuen, X. Dong and T. Lu, "Inter-Patient CNN-LSTM ECG QRS Complex Detection," accepted by IEEE Access.
• A. Verma and X. Dong, "Detection of Ventricular Fibrillation using Random Forest Classifier," Journal of Biomedical Science and Engineering (JBiSE), pp. 259-268, Apr. 2016.
• G. Zeng, X. Dong and J. Bornemann, "Reconfigurable Feedback Shift Register Based Stream Cipher for Wireless Sensor Networks," IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, pp. 559-562, Nov. 2013.
• M. Ghoreishi, S. He, M. McGuire, S. Neville and X. Dong, "Secret Key Verification and Generation in UWB Channels Based on Real Data Measurements," IEEE ICC, pp. 1-5, June 2009.
• W. Ni and X. Dong, "Energy Harvesting Wireless Communications with Energy Cooperation between Transmitter and Receiver," IEEE Trans. Communications, pp. 1457-1469, Apr. 2015.
• X. Dong, J. Li and P. Orlik, "A new transmitted reference pulse cluster system for UWB communications", IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technology, pp. 3217-3224, Sept. 2008.
• Y. Wang, X. Dong, P.H. Wittke and S. Mo, "Cyclic prefixed single carrier transmission in ultra-wideband communications", IEEE Trans. Wireless Communications, pp. 2017-2021, Aug. 2006.
• Y. Huo, X. Dong and P. Lu, "A TRPC-UWB transmitter front-end based on wideband IQ modulator in 0.13-um CMOS," IEEE ICSICT, Oct. 2014. (Excellent Student Paper Award)
WiMedia UWB product testing report (here)
• L. Xiao and X. Dong, "Unified analysis of generalized selection combining with normalized threshold test per branch", IEEE Trans. Wireless Communications, pp. 2153-2163, Aug. 2006.
• L. Xiao and X. Dong, "The exact transition probability and bit error probability of two-dimensional signaling", IEEE Trans. Wireless Communications, pp. 2600-2609, Sep. 2005.
• X. Dong and L. Xiao, "Symbol error probability of two-dimensional signaling in Rician fading with imperfect channel estimation", IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technology, pp. 538-549, Mar. 2005.
ECE 450/512 Communications Theory and Systems: II
ECE 496A/519B MIMO and UWB
ELEC310 Digital Signal Processing
ELEC456 Mobile Communications
ELEC405 Error Control Coding and Sequences
ELEC619A Ultra-wideband Communications
• Senior Member of IEEE
• Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology
• Associate Editor of IEEE Open Journal of the Communications Society
• Editor for Journal of Communications and Networks (completed)
• Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications (completed)
• Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Communications (completed)