The JasPer Project Home Page
- Mailing Lists
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Other Interesting Links
The JasPer Project is an open-source initiative to provide a free software-based reference implementation of the codec specified in the JPEG-2000 Part-1 standard (i.e., ISO/IEC 15444-1). This project was started as a collaborative effort between Image Power, Inc. and the University of British Columbia. Presently, the ongoing maintenance and development of the JasPer software is being coordinated by its principal author, Michael Adams, who is affiliated with the Digital Signal Processing Group (DSPG) in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Victoria.
JasPer includes a software-based implementation of the codec specified in the JPEG-2000 Part-1 standard (i.e., ISO/IEC 15444-1). The JasPer software is written in the C programming language. More details about this software can be found in the JasPer Software Reference Manual.
The JasPer software has been included in the JPEG-2000 Part-5 standard (i.e., ISO/IEC 15444-5), as an official reference implementation of the JPEG-2000 Part-1 codec. This software has also been incorporated into numerous other software projects (some commercial and some non-commercial). Some projects known to use JasPer include:
- K Desktop Environment (as of version 3.2)
- Netpbm (as of Release 10.12)
- Photoline 32
- Prophecy SDK
- Meesoft's Image Analyzer
- OpenSceneGraph Project
- QJp2IO. JasPer wrapper for Qt.
- BorJas. JasPer wrapper for Borland C++ Builder.
- TIFF Codec Driver. TIFF driver for JasPer library.
- GeoJasper. GeoJasper is the first in the world FREE Geo supporting command line transcoder between JPEG2000 and other formats.
- RealWorld Icon Editor
- GYachI. A Yahoo-messenger client.
- MATLAB toolbox for JasPer
- Ziproxy (Ziproxy is forwarding, non-caching, compressing HTTP proxy server.)
- FBI Improved (FIM)
(Incidentally, if you are aware of any projects utilizing the JasPer software that are not listed above, please let Michael Adams know so that he can add them to the list.)
The use of the JasPer software is subject to certain licensing terms. The license is available from the downloads section of this document, and is also available in the file named "LICENSE" in the JasPer software distribution.
The following items are available for download:
- JasPer version 1.900.1 source distribution (current version).
- JasPer software license.
- JasPer version 1.701.0 source distribution (old version).
- Several JPEG-2000 test images.
The following downloads are not officially supported, but may be helpful nevertheless:
- Patches for the xv image viewer to provide JPEG-2000 support via the JasPer library. (These patches are against JasPer 1.701.0 and were provided by Scott Marovich of Hewlett-Packard Laboratories. You can find Scott's contact information in the file containing the patches, should you wish to contact him.)
- Patches for JasPer for OpenVMS . These patches are maintained by Jouk Jansen (joukj at hrem.stm.tudelft.nl).
- JasPer Software Reference Manual. This is probably the best source of information on the JasPer software.
- A paper on JasPer in the Proc. of IEEE ICIP 2000. Preprint (in PDF format) .
- A paper on JasPer in the Proc. of IEEE ICASSP 2004. Preprint (in PDF format) .
- A tutorial paper on JPEG 2000 distributed with the JasPer software. Paper (in PDF format) .
The following Yahoo! Groups deal with various aspects of the JasPer software:
- JasPer Software Announcements Group (on Yahoo! Groups). By becoming a member of this group, you can receive important information about the JasPer Project in a timely manner. Announcements of new software releases are posted to this group. This group is moderated.
- JasPer Software Discussion Group (on Yahoo! Groups). This unmoderated group provides an open discussion forum for any matters relating to the JasPer software.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is the JasPer software open source?
Yes, the JasPer software is available under an open source license. (The license is based on the MIT license.)
Can I use JasPer in commercial products?
Yes, you may use the software for commercial purposes as long as you do not violate the terms of the license.
Does Michael Adams ever reply to JasPer-related email?
Yes, he does, but it usually takes quite a while. Please understand that Michael receives a considerable volume of email regarding JasPer. You are unlikely to get a response for a while. This said, however, there is one sure way not to get a response: by asking a question that is answered in the JasPer Software Reference Manual or in this web page. This documentation was created for a reason, namely so that people would read it (and avoid asking the same questions over and over).
Does the JPEG-2000 encoder in JasPer support ROI?
No, it does not. Only the decoder supports ROI.
Why does the JasPer JPEG-2000 codec behave differently from the
way described in the JPEG-2000 Part-1 FDIS (or FCD)?
The FDIS and FCD are obsolete and out of date. If you want a precise specification of the JPEG-2000 Part-1 standard, then order a copy of the final standard from the ISO.
How can I obtain a copy of the JPEG-2000 test images?
At present, not all of these images can be distributed to the general public, due to their uncertain copyright status. Fortunately, a few of these images can be distributed at this time, and are available from the download section of this document.
How can I obtain a copy of the JPEG-2000 Part-1 standard?
You will have to buy a copy from the ISO. The JPEG-2000 Part-1 standard is known as ISO/IEC 15444-1.
Other Interesting Links
- The Official JPEG-2000 Page .
- The Official JPEG-2000 Software Page .
- The JPEG-2000 Part-1 Final Committee Draft (FCD) Document . This document is outdated, but may be useful to some people.
- The JJ2000 Project Home Page .
- David Taubman's Home Page . David proposed the EBCOT technology on which JPEG 2000 is heavily based. He has some documents on EBCOT available from his home page.
- Yahoo! Groups JPEG-2000 Technical Discussion Forum . This group is intended to pool technical questions or problems in working with JPEG 2000.
- Yahoo! Groups JPEG-2000 Group . This group discusses the technical aspects of the JPEG-2000 image format.
- Yahoo! Groups JPEG-2000 Part-4 Group . This group discusses the JPEG-2000 Part-4 standard and the exchange of bitstreams.